My kids loved making and eating these green cookies. They were fascinated with the fact that the cookies and frosting were actually green.
Makes 12 cookies.
1/2 cup soft margarine or butter
1 cup sugar
1 medium egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp green food coloring
2 cups powdered sugar (icing sugar)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
Fry Light or other oil spray
decorative sprinkles (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
2. Mix the butter, sugar, egg, 1/2 the green food coloring and 1/2 of the vanilla extract together in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and baking powder together.
4. Mix the two bowls together by pouring the flour mixture into the other bowl and combining with a spoon until thoroughly mixed.
5. Spray a baking tray with Fry Light or other oil spray.
6. Put spoonfuls of mixture onto try, leaving about 1 1/2 inches between each.
7. Bake in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes.
8. While the cookies are baking, mix the milk, powdered sugar, the rest of the vanilla extract and the rest of the green food coloring in a bowl together. (If the mixture is too thin, add more powdered sugar until you get the desired consistency.)
9. Remove cookies from oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes.
10. Once the cookies have cooled, pour the frosting mixture over the cookies. Add sprinkles if desired and then leave to sit for another 15 minutes.